The Jackson County Chamber of Commerce and Convention and Visitors Bureau (Experience Jackson) are seeking a forward-thinking President/CEO with a strategic management style to jointly lead both organizations into this next phase of development for Jackson County. This position will be responsible for the most visible operations of both organizations, serving as the primary point of contact for each board and cultivating relationships within the respective membership groups. The Jackson County Chamber of Commerce and Experience Jackson, both serve to enhance economic development, infrastructure, diversity and overall desirability of this historic part of Michigan. Jackson, MI and it’s surrounding areas are home to 160,000 citizens, 18 school districts, 250 churches and over 500 holes of golf, of which several are nationally ranked courses. We have 188 lakes, 27 public parks (two of which are more than 800 acres each!), an International Speedway, a symphony orchestra, a County managed Regional Airport, and a State ranked environmental center. Jackson County offers a Midwest lifestyle with easy access to urban amenities and a thriving cultural scene. The President/CEO will be instrumental in continuing efforts to support this vital piece of Michigan’s economy; including funding and legislative initiatives that directly impact the Chamber and CVB’s members and the greater communities in which they serve.
A successful candidate will be a natural relationship builder; ideally someone who is already connected to the chamber of commerce and/or tourism industries. As the public face of the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce and Experience Jackson, the President/CEO must have an engaging, compelling presence and be passionate about growing Jackson County’s business community and tourism industry, thus supporting all those who depend on it. The position requires an authentic, collaborative leader with a proven track record of building member engagement, cultivating shared goals, and positioning organizations for relevance and sustainability in the years to come.
Guided by the Chamber and CVB Board of Directors, the President/CEO‘s primary focus will be to ensure that the daily activities of each organization are in compliance with and in support of program and revenue goals, strategic objectives and policy issues (as appropriate). Areas of responsibility include planning and execution, advocacy and public relations, policy development, facilitation and collaboration to address community concerns, program implementation and administration, personnel and fiscal management, member development and retention.
Specific job duties include:
- Assist both Boards in setting short-term and long-term goals based on strategic initiatives
- Develop and implement work plans to meet strategic objectives
- Develop and administer operational policies
- Oversee member recruitment and retention activities
- Oversee the coordination of membership meetings, events, programs, golf outings and conferences
- Facilities management for Chamber-owned office building
- Foster and maintain ongoing and open communication with the 30-member Chamber and 13-member CVB Boards
- Oversee current staff (6 total) and ensure adequate staffing levels to meet Chamber and CVB strategic plan objectives and growth goals
- Assure proper compliance with employment law as it relates to personnel matters
- Provide adequate hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of all staff, volunteers and interns
- Develop expertise in staff by encouraging further education, training and providing learning opportunities for growth
- Oversee all disciplinary actions including terminations
- Facilitate orientation of new Board members and committee chairs
- Follow established policies, procedures and internal controls for prudent financial management
- Budget preparation and monitoring for both the Chamber and the CVB
- In conjunction with the CFO, manage the Chamber and CVB assets, liabilities, revenues and expenses
- Seek new/additional revenue sources
- Jackson County Chamber’s current budget is $825K (comprised of 750+ membership dues, advertising and programming revenue)
- Experience Jackson’s (CVB) current budget is $850K (resulting from a 5% tax on lodging)
- Assure proper fiscal record keeping and reporting
- Assist with tax preparation and submission of all required state and federal documents under the direction and guidance of accounting firm and Board Treasurers
Public Relations and Communications
- Continue the work of diversity, inclusion and equity though a recent partnership with the NAACP as it relates to the Chamber, CVB, business community and community at large
- Respond to information requests from members, key stakeholders, press and the public
- Oversee the development and dissemination of information, press kits, promotional materials and programs
- Promote Chamber and CVB initiatives to the media, general public, governmental agencies, elected officials, current/past/potential members, professional associations and key stakeholders
- Oversee Chamber and CVB communication strategies, including website, newsletters/print/television and radio spots, personal appearances and social media presence
Advocacy and Government Relations
- Serve as the primary liaison and spokesperson between both Boards, policy makers at the city, county and state levels, and the press
- Monitor and report all legislative, political, and administration activities and issues which may impact the interests of the Chamber and/or CVB and their members
- Attend and participate in legislative and council meetings and hearings bearing potential impact on the Chamber and/or CVB and their members
- Manage advocacy initiatives and staffing to assure effectiveness and results
- Provide leadership with the Boards in crafting, sponsoring and promoting legislation, regulations and policy that support the Chamber and CVB’s missions
- Maintain relationships with governmental (city, county and state) agencies, civic groups, elected officials, key stakeholders, and organizations with complementary and/or like missions and policy objectives
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree and/or 5+ years of senior level management experience, preferably in a non-profit setting. A working knowledge of chamber of commerce operations and/or the tourism industry is a plus! Experience working with city, county and state policy makers is desired. This is a high level position requiring strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills. A successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to retain and grow membership and implement innovative programs and services in collaboration with the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce and Experience Jackson Boards, key stakeholders, governmental agencies, and the local business community.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
The Jackson County Chamber of Commerce and Experience Jackson offers a dynamic, challenging work environment with ample opportunity for professional fulfillment, competitive compensation and a full benefit package. This position allows for an individual to make a real difference in the community, influencing growth and opportunity for years to come. To express your interest in this position, please submit your resume, salary requirements and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications relate to this position.